Join 30,000+ Looksmaxxing Members!

Register a FREE account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox.

• DISCLAIMER: DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website ARE NOT engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. DO NOT use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. DO NOT begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision. Learn more

¿Is it bad if i like pain in my muscles?

choripan

After last series or after gym there's a pain inside the muscle that i like it a lot. Told a friend once he called me weird and masochist. Told here and whitepill assumed I hate myself. Am I the only one that enjoy the feeling of that pain? I don't like getting punched nor cut, I only like that kind of pain. I also like the pain of stretching, it's quite similar. I consider myself as a normal person with the exception if my bad social skills.

hate is a strong word but it means you dont necessarily like yourself

The psychologist in question is Daniel Kahneman; the experiment described by the self-explanatory title of: When More Pain Is Preferred to Less: Adding a Better End. In the study, Kahneman and colleagues looked at the pain participants felt by asking them to put their hands in ice-cold water twice (one trial for each hand). In one trial, the water was at 14C (59F) for 60 seconds. In the other trial the water was 14C for 60 seconds, but then rose slightly and gradually to about 15C by the end of an additional 30-second period.
The psychologist in question is Daniel Kahneman; the experiment described by the self-explanatory title of: When More Pain Is Preferred to Less: Adding a Better End. In the study, Kahneman and colleagues looked at the pain participants felt by asking them to put their hands in ice-cold water twice (one trial for each hand). In one trial, the water was at 14C (59F) for 60 seconds. In the other trial the water was 14C for 60 seconds, but then rose slightly and gradually to about 15C by the end of an additional 30-second period.
Both trials were equally painful for the first sixty seconds, as indicated by a dial participants had to adjust to show how they were feeling. On average, participants' discomfort started out at the low end of the pain scale and steadily increased. When people experienced an additional thirty seconds of slightly less cold water, discomfort ratings tended to level off or drop.
Next, the experimenters asked participants which kind of trial they would choose to repeat if they had to. You've guessed the answer: nearly 70% of participants chose to repeat the 90-second trial, even though it involved 30 extra seconds of pain. Participants also said that the longer trial was less painful overall, less cold, and easier to cope with. Some even reported that it took less time.
In case you think this is a freakish outcome of some artificial lab scenario, Kahneman saw a similar result when he interviewed patients who had undergone a colonoscopy examination – a procedure universally described as being decidedly unpleasant. Patients in Kahneman's study group had colonoscopies that lasted from four to 69 minutes, but the duration of the procedure did not predict how they felt about it afterwards. Instead, it was the strength of their discomfort at its most intense, and the level of discomfort they felt towards the end of the procedure.
These studies support what Kahneman called the Peak-End rule – that our perceptions about an experience are determined by how it feels at its most intense, and how it feels at the end. The actual duration is irrelevant. It appears we don’t rationally calculate each moment of pleasure or pain using some kind of mental ledger. Instead, our memories filter how we feel about the things we've done and experienced, and our memories are defined more by the moments that seem most characteristic – the peaks and the finish – than by how we actually felt most of the time during the experience.

After last series or after gym there's a pain inside the muscle that i like it a lot. Told a friend once he called me weird and masochist. Told here and whitepill assumed I hate myself. Am I the only one that enjoy the feeling of that pain? I don't like getting punched nor cut, I only like that kind of pain. I also like the pain of stretching, it's quite similar. I consider myself as a normal person with the exception if my bad social skills.
I feel the same way, we might be a bit of an anomaly. If I don’t feel any pain after the gym, I consider it a wasted session. A healthy amount of pain is necessary for progress.

Both trials were equally painful for the first sixty seconds, as indicated by a dial participants had to adjust to show how they were feeling. On average, participants' discomfort started out at the low end of the pain scale and steadily increased. When people experienced an additional thirty seconds of slightly less cold water, discomfort ratings tended to level off or drop.
Next, the experimenters asked participants which kind of trial they would choose to repeat if they had to. You've guessed the answer: nearly 70% of participants chose to repeat the 90-second trial, even though it involved 30 extra seconds of pain. Participants also said that the longer trial was less painful overall, less cold, and easier to cope with. Some even reported that it took less time.
In case you think this is a freakish outcome of some artificial lab scenario, Kahneman saw a similar result when he interviewed patients who had undergone a colonoscopy examination – a procedure universally described as being decidedly unpleasant. Patients in Kahneman's study group had colonoscopies that lasted from four to 69 minutes, but the duration of the procedure did not predict how they felt about it afterwards. Instead, it was the strength of their discomfort at its most intense, and the level of discomfort they felt towards the end of the procedure.
These studies support what Kahneman called the Peak-End rule – that our perceptions about an experience are determined by how it feels at its most intense, and how it feels at the end. The actual duration is irrelevant. It appears we don’t rationally calculate each moment of pleasure or pain using some kind of mental ledger. Instead, our memories filter how we feel about the things we've done and experienced, and our memories are defined more by the moments that seem most characteristic – the peaks and the finish – than by how we actually felt most of the time during the experience.
@Whitepill , pain also leads to better cooperativity amongst strangers

dnr

@Whitepill , pain also leads to better cooperativity amongst strangers
so it makes you a better slave? makes sense

ok ill read

"interacting with other people better" so it makes you a sheep
why is socializing a sheep behavior? humans have always socialized, we were not loners we lived in tribes and to this day most people seek socialization via irl or online

So we enjoy when we finish it, that doesn't make it good/healthy for you.

If you are more likely to go with the crowd yeah
yes
socialization, bandwagon and all of these other effects that are seen since the dawn of humanity, they exist because it is easier for humans to rely on each other
like you said, with many people carrying meat

the reason for it is to survive. we endure pain in life so we can survive. why would you willingly force your body to truggle to survive?
well maybe there is some good pain
like child birth. child birth is said to be very painful and i believe that. but its for reproduction.
protecting the people you care about and yourself, working hard, loss of someone or something are all pain

yes
socialization, bandwagon and all of these other effects that are seen since the dawn of humanity, they exist because it is easier for humans to rely on each other
like you said, with many people carrying meat
still u dont have to feel pain to socialize. this concept is just more prevalent in modern day because if you experience pain with another person it creates an emotional bond with them, and then when you dont want to feel pain anymore the other person becomes enraged

well maybe there is some good pain
like child birth. child birth is said to be very painful and i believe that. but its for reproduction.
protecting the people you care about and yourself, working hard, loss of someone or something are all pain
yes but those are for natural reasons. Gym and exercise is an unnatural reason.

still u dont have to feel pain to socialize. this concept is just more prevalent in modern day because if you experience pain with another person it creates an emotional bond with them, and then when you dont want to feel pain anymore the other person becomes enraged
but in nature we experience pain all the time. tripping on rocks, cold water in the winter, bites, scratches, all sorts of shit. there will be some kind of evolutionary mechanism to deal with it and try to make the best of it.
also this arousal thing where fear also causes sexual arousal if you are with someone else
like so stacy get dopamine when chad saves her from tiger
yes but those are for natural reasons. Gym and exercise is an unnatural reason.
but what about the working hard reason? doesnt gym and exercise fall under that

but in nature we experience pain all the time. tripping on rocks, cold water in the winter, bites, scratches, all sorts of shit. there will be some kind of evolutionary mechanism to deal with it and try to make the best of it.
That doesn't make it good in any way for you still
also this arousal thing where fear also causes sexual arousal if you are with someone else
like so stacy get dopamine when chad saves her from tiger
Yeah thats true but thats just happens you dont seek it out
but what about the working hard reason? doesnt gym and exercise fall under that
Gym and exercise are unnatural so therefore no

That doesn't make it good in any way for you still
but nature will find do tradeoffs
something will have good aspects something will have bad
like black skin is good near the equator for sun protection but bad for vitamin D, so they struggle when going towards the poles with deficiency
meanwhile white skin is good near the poles for vitamin D but bad for sun protection, so they struggle when going towards the poles with burns
everything has some kind of trade off
there is no 100% good or bad gene
Yeah thats true but thats just happens you dont seek it out
true
but people seek to replicate it today, since danger was a common occurrence in past
Gym and exercise are unnatural so therefore no
y
i get paying for a membership to enter a room and lift metal is unnatural
but the idea behind it
of workload, simulating carrying loads and pulling self and bodyweight stuff

but nature will find do tradeoffs
something will have good aspects something will have bad
like black skin is good near the equator for sun protection but bad for vitamin D, so they struggle when going towards the poles with deficiency
meanwhile white skin is good near the poles for vitamin D but bad for sun protection, so they struggle when going towards the poles with burns
everything has some kind of trade off
there is no 100% good or bad gene
all stress is bad, true about genes tho
true
but people seek to replicate it today, since danger was a common occurrence in past
i guess? but they are also brainwashed by external factors
y
i get paying for a membership to enter a room and lift metal is unnatural
but the idea behind it
of workload, simulating carrying loads and pulling self and bodyweight stuff
no reason to do it.

all stress is bad, true about genes tho
y all stress bad? we learn from mistakes
people say to learn from others mistakes, and while this is partly true, its mostly halfhearted
like if you have never felt pain and you see someone in deep physical pain, you probably dont think its that bad
only when people experience in real time they will learn
like i used to see fat people on TV and talks about healthiness. ok. but i never really took it seriously until i started gaining weight myself
stress and pain is how we learn
this is negative-positve learning that animals experience to differentiate good from bad
i guess? but they are also brainwashed by external factors
yeah
no reason to do it.
y

y all stress bad? we learn from mistakes
people say to learn from others mistakes, and while this is partly true, its mostly halfhearted
like if you have never felt pain and you see someone in deep physical pain, you probably dont think its that bad
only when people experience in real time they will learn
like i used to see fat people on TV and talks about healthiness. ok. but i never really took it seriously until i started gaining weight myself
stress and pain is how we learn
this is negative-positve learning that animals experience to differentiate good from bad
sure we learn from mistakes but i think by now we have learned doing stuff out of our way doesnt feel good for us
ive answered y, it has no looks or health benefits from a natural standpoint.

sure we learn from mistakes but i think by now we have learned doing stuff out of our way doesnt feel good for us
yes
and learning is constant it doesnt stop when youre done with college or something
pain is constant and sharp
ok i forgot what i was gonna type
but i think seeking pain is natural
and also, isnt there not much reason to live without pain? if your life is constant or mostly bliss, then you wont feel value for anything and be desensitized by pleasure. and then you will inherently start seeking pain for sensations. if you flip it around, people feeling lots of pain, then they will seek pleasure
now i think a good balance is accepting both pain and pleasure as a part of life that also gives us feelings and reasoning
ive answered y, it has no looks or health benefits from a natural standpoint.
:hahaa:
socialization and pain and strength and muscles and leanness

yes
and learning is constant it doesnt stop when youre done with college or something
pain is constant and sharp
ok i forgot what i was gonna type
but i think seeking pain is natural
and also, isnt there not much reason to live without pain? if your life is constant or mostly bliss, then you wont feel value for anything and be desensitized by pleasure. and then you will inherently start seeking pain for sensations. if you flip it around, people feeling lots of pain, then they will seek pleasure
now i think a good balance is accepting both pain and pleasure as a part of life that also gives us feelings and reasoning
in a natural standpoint you would never seek it out or force yourself to do it
:hahaa:
socialization and pain and strength and muscles and leanness
gym doesnt really help with leanness
also not good for socialization you just dont know how to interact with people normally
muscles are cope

in a natural standpoint you would never seek it out or force yourself to do it
it comes to you
like via nature
like tripping on a rock
you dont do that shit on purpose unless youre a r****d, but nature is unavoidable and it will strike you with painful shit
gym doesnt really help with leanness
also not good for socialization you just dont know how to interact with people normally
muscles are cope
i mean a decent amount of muscle is good for some strength. like training once a week no roids no extremely high weights is fine right

it comes to you
like via nature
like tripping on a rock
you dont do that shit on purpose unless youre a r****d, but nature is unavoidable and it will strike you with painful shit
didnt say its unavoidable
i mean a decent amount of muscle is good for some strength. like training once a week no roids no extremely high weights is fine right
muscles require higher food maintenance which ages you and working on muscles themselves ages your cells

didnt say its unavoidable
yeah but i mean its natural to experience pain often
muscles require higher food maintenance which ages you and working on muscles themselves ages your cells
but muscles= better ability to get food
bears and other animals eat a fuck ton for that mass
in nature humans did not cut or restrict themselves on purpose. they ate and ate till they couldnt eat cuz you dont know when your next meal is sometimes. the limiting factor was the environment and your abilities. nowadays this is bad bc we have grocery stores and all you need is to wage slave