Join the #1 Looksmaxxing Community!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• DISCLAIMER: DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website ARE NOT engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. DO NOT use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. DO NOT begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision. Learn more

Home options for resistance training Part #2:Back and Shoulders

Deleted Member 295

Seek beauty in ugly times
Established Member
  • Body Part:The Back
images (84).jpeg
Now the thing with back training is,while there are no exercises that isolate a single muscle,you can select exercises that place more emphasis on a given muscle based on your goals (Width vs Thickness)

Training for Width: Latissimus Dorsi

images (87).jpeg

The lats are one of the most important muscles on your back when it comes to aesthetics.Trained lats not only give the illusion of a smaller waist,by adding mass right above it,they actually help you spread your shoulders by pulling your shoulder blades away from each other in their resting tone.
images (89).jpeg

How to train your lats at home ?

The best way requires you to purchase a piece of equipment.

Neutral Grip Pull Ups​
images (93).jpeg

Now the key here is,allowing your biceps to be in a strong position so that they don't just tire out before your lats do.in that case you can't continue doing pull ups and we don't want that.But we also don't want our biceps to be in such a strong position that they do most of the work.Neutral grip pull ups are the best for that.

Another creative way to train your lats is

Towel Rows
images (90).jpeg

With this exercise you are basically rowing your own bodyweight.Now in order to get the best out of this for your lats,have your feet close together and tuck your elbows to your sides while pulling.
It's better if you can do this with one arm,if you can't however go for a narrow grip.
images (94).jpeg

An easier variation for people who can't handle their bodyweight would be

Leg Press Towel Rows​
images (95).jpeg

Here you in complete control of the resistance,so don't be a pussy and press hard.

A difficult and complex exercise that is extremely beneficial is

The Bodyweight Pullover
images-67.jpg

Here's a tutorial:

Training for thickness:Trapezius and Posterior Deltoid

images (96).jpeg

The best exercise in my opinion to train your traps without weights is

The Scapula Pull Up
images (97).jpeg

In this exercise,you squeeze your shoulder blades together while hanging from the bar.
That's it.No other pulling motion involved.Just try to bring your shoulder blades together.

Another way to train your traps is

Elbow Rows

Here you are simulating the rowing motion with your body weight.
Push through your elbows and squeeze your upper back muscles as you go.
Remember to push through your elbows with your back muscles and not crunch your way up,that involves using the abs.

• Body Part:Shoulders
Your shoulders are heavily involved in chest exercises.So you are essentially working out your shoulders while working out your chest,however i can still show you some bodyweight shoulder exercises in case you want to do more

Handstand Push Ups
images.png

Bodyweight Lateral Raises

images-61.jpg

Now this is an important exercise because this is the only way that i know of to directly train your side delts without weights.

These exercises and countless other push up variations,along with dips offer you a wide variety of exercise to choose from for your shoulder training.

Useful Equipment for the back

Door Frame Pull Up Bar
images-91.jpg
What I have to say about these things is that they are safe for doing pull ups and scapulsr pull ups.But you shouldn't attempt things like muscle ups or kipping pull ups.
Another thing is it says it can handle up to 120 kilograms on my bar,however even if the bar can,the door frame may not be able to.
As an 81 kg guy I had no problems whatsoever yet.And it depends on the door frame but I'd say it's safe for guys who weigh up to 95 kilograms.

The Chest Expander
images-55-jpeg.3281
Great for both your traps and your lats.It also builds extreme tendon and ligament strength (that will help with back width and decrease risk of injury).I will make a separate thread on it to show you how to use it.

Part#3 will cover arms and legs

Attachments

• images (84).jpeg
    images (84).jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Body Part:The Back
View attachment 3374
Now the thing with back training is,while there are no exercises that isolate a single muscle,you can select exercises that place more emphasis on a given muscle based on your goals (Width vs Thickness)

Training for Width: Latissimus Dorsi

View attachment 3375

The lats are one of the most important muscles on your back when it comes to aesthetics.Trained lats not only give the illusion of a smaller waist,by adding mass right above it,they actually help you spread your shoulders by pulling your shoulder blades away from each other in their resting tone.
View attachment 3376

How to train your lats at home ?

The best way requires you to purchase a piece of equipment.

Neutral Grip Pull Ups​
View attachment 3378

Now the key here is,allowing your biceps to be in a strong position so that they don't just tire out before your lats do.in that case you can't continue doing pull ups and we don't want that.But we also don't want our biceps to be in such a strong position that they do most of the work.Neutral grip pull ups are the best for that.

Another creative way to train your lats is

Towel Rows
View attachment 3379

With this exercise you are basically rowing your own bodyweight.Now in order to get the best out of this for your lats,have your feet close together and tuck your elbows to your sides while pulling.
It's better if you can do this with one arm,if you can't however go for a narrow grip.
View attachment 3380

An easier variation for people who can't handle their bodyweight would be

Leg Press Towel Rows​
View attachment 3381

Here you in complete control of the resistance,so don't be a pussy and press hard.

A difficult and complex exercise that is extremely beneficial is

The Bodyweight Pullover
images-67.jpg

Here's a tutorial:

Training for thickness:Trapezius and Posterior Deltoid

View attachment 3382

The best exercise in my opinion to train your traps without weights is

The Scapula Pull Up
View attachment 3383

In this exercise,you squeeze your shoulder blades together while hanging from the bar.
That's it.No other pulling motion involved.Just try to bring your shoulder blades together.

Another way to train your traps is

Elbow Rows

Here you are simulating the rowing motion with your body weight.
Push through your elbows and squeeze your upper back muscles as you go.
Remember to push through your elbows with your back muscles and not crunch your way up,that involves using the abs.

• Body Part:Shoulders
Your shoulders are heavily involved in chest exercises.So you are essentially working out your shoulders while working out your chest,however i can still show you some bodyweight shoulder exercises in case you want to do more

Handstand Push Ups
images.png

Bodyweight Lateral Raises

images-61.jpg

Now this is an important exercise because this is the only way that i know of to directly train your side delts without weights.

These exercises and countless other push up variations,along with dips offer you a wide variety of exercise to choose from for your shoulder training.

Useful Equipment for the back

Door Frame Pull Up Bar
images-91.jpg
What I have to say about these things is that they are safe for doing pull ups and scapulsr pull ups.But you shouldn't attempt things like muscle ups or kipping pull ups.
Another thing is it says it can handle up to 120 kilograms on my bar,however even if the bar can,the door frame may not be able to.
As an 81 kg guy I had no problems whatsoever yet.And it depends on the door frame but I'd say it's safe for guys who weigh up to 95 kilograms.

The Chest Expander
images-55-jpeg.3281
Great for both your traps and your lats.It also builds extreme tendon and ligament strength (that will help with back width and decrease risk of injury).I will make a separate thread on it to show you how to use it.

Part#3 will cover arms and legs

I like reading posts like this, gj @Deleted Member 295