Join the #1 Looksmaxxing Community!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• DISCLAIMER: DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website ARE NOT engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. DO NOT use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. DO NOT begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision. Learn more

Pre-Mr.Olympia Arnold Schwarzenegger workout routine

D

Deleted member 295

Introduction
This is a relatively low volume, highly intense and frequency focused workout program developed and used by Arnold Schwarzenegger himself.
There are a lot of drop sets included with no resting period in between sets.
The point of this routine is continuously pumping blood throughout your torso and limbs and not allowing the blood the escape(hence no rest) to create a lot of metabolic stress,in addition to the mechanical tension you are putting on your muscles to maximize muscle protein synthesis.
You are going to be working out 6 days a week, hitting each major muscle group twice a week,while your arms get hit 4 times a week.

Day 1-Back and Chest
The reason he programs muscle groups that work in opposite is to make it easier for you to apply the "no rest" policy.The idea is,while you are working your pushing muscles(front delt,chest and triceps) your pulling muscles(back and biceps) are stretched and resting.So you need no additional rest between sets

Day 2-Arms&Shoulders
Since your delts assist in most arm exercises,there will be additional work for them even after you're done training them.So that's more volume.

Day 3-Legs

Day 4-Off

Days 5,6&7 repeat.

Exercises:
The exercises in this routine are especially picked to allow the stretch and resting of the opposite muscle groups that you are working on.They mainly consist of multi-joint compound movements which are clearly superior to isolation type exercises in increasing testosterone and HGH production.

The exercises I wrote down in number listing are to be performed as drop sets.That means no rest in between sets.
Chest&Back Day
  1. Barbell Bench Press 5x10-13​
  2. Pull Ups 5x10​

1. Barbell Incline Chest Press 5x10-13​
  2. Bent Over Row 5x10-13​

1. Dumbbell Pullovers(Chest)5x13-15​
  2. Barbell Deadlift 5x10​

1. Pec Deck/Dumbbell Fly 5x15​
  2. T Bar Row 5x10-13​
That's it.You can throw in some additional abdominal and forearm work in there if you want.
Like this for instance;
  • 5x25 Hanging leg raises​
  • 3x15 Reverse Curls.​

Arms&Shoulders
  1. Barbell Overhead Press 5x13-15​
  2. Cable Face Pulls 5x15-22​

1. Side Lateral Raises 5x15​
  2. Arms Back Hold 5x60 seconds​

1. Seated Dumbbell Overhead Press 5x10-13​
  2. Rear Delt Reverse Fly 5x15​

1. Standing Barbell Curl 5x13-15​
  2. Close Grip Bench Press 5x15​

1. Preacher Curls 5x10​
  2. Cable Rope Tricep Extension 5x15​

1. Wrist Curls 3x13​
  2. Reverse Wrist Curls 3x13​
That's it.You can throw in some additional abdominal and forearm work in there if you want.

Legs Day(Posterior Chain)

Squats 5x10
Rest
Lunges 5x10
Rest
Stiff Legged Deadlifts 5x10
Rest
Lower Back Hyperextension 5x10
Rest
Standing Weighted Calf Raises
5x60 sec

Final thoughts
  • I can assure you that you are going to have to decrease the weight in between sets,and I encourage you to go ahead and do that because we are focused on hypertrophy and not strength here,so you can sacrifice some weight if you can't go through the program otherwise.​

• Make sure you are muscling the weight up and not using momentum,again this is not strength work,pick a weight that you can control from the beginning to the end.Feel the contraction and blood rush every single repetition.​

• Take your time with the sets.Your working sets should last at least 45 seconds for hypertrophy purposes.Don't rush a weight you can't control.​

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does this follow linear progression ?
Well I find myself able to add weight to the bar each week,but that's because I am still in my beginner phase.This workout is not necessarily for strength gains.This is a hypertrophy based classic bodybuilding routine.So after your first year you probably won't see linear strength gains from this.And in that case I'd recommend you alternate between this and a strength program every few months.

I prefer doing full body 3 times a week
That's not nearly enough volume or frequency.If you are a beginner you'll see results from this but that doesn't mean this is a good way to train.
Here's the science of this subject

That's not nearly enough volume or frequency.If you are a beginner you'll see results from this but that doesn't mean this is a good way to train.
Here's the science of this subject
Also, you might aswell bring your sleeping bag and sleep in the gym if you're gonna be there for 6 days a week

Also, you might aswell bring your sleeping bag and sleep in the gym if you're gonna be there for 6 days a week
If you have an opportunity to train a muscle group once again in the same week and you aren't taking that opportunity then you must be stupid as f**k.
That means you are missing out on 52 workouts a year.Congratulations Mr.wolf you are making half the gains that you could have made

"Pre-Mr.Olympia" This was before he took steroids right?

Where is the part about injectables and orals?
You don't need to be on steroids to do this.There's 48 hours of rest-recovery for each muscle group that's plenty.
Protein synthesis lasts no longer than 48 hours anyway.

You don't need to be on steroids to do this.There's 48 hours of rest-recovery for each muscle group that's plenty.
Protein synthesis lasts no longer than 48 hours anyway.
youre not gonna look like arnold without them boyo

youre not gonna look like arnold without them boyo
Ofc not I thought that was obvious to everyone on the planet lol.
In truth most people won't ever be able to look like him even if they take mortal doses of anabolic steroids.
This is a really good way to train though.Because it allows you to overload your body metabolically and mechanically

Ofc not I thought that was obvious to everyone on the planet lol.
In truth most people won't ever be able to look like him even if they take mortal doses of anabolic steroids.
This is a really good way to train though.Because it allows you to overload your body metabolically and mechanically
looks to me like the average bro split programme tbh. not that it doesnt work

imo, what you do in the gym is maybe like 20% of building muscle, the rest being diet, your habits and genetics of course

im sure as long as you push yourself until failure in the gym its enough

looks to me like the average bro split programme tbh. not that it doesnt work

imo, what you do in the gym is maybe like 20% of building muscle, the rest being diet, your habits and genetics of course

im sure as long as you push yourself until failure in the gym its enough

This is nothing like an average bro split.
Bro splits allow you to hit your major muscle groups once a week and your arms twice a week while this program doubles the training frequency.
In a classic bro split you'd be doing over 25 sets for a single muscle group but here it's between 15-20, relatively lower volume to keep up the intensity and frequency while allowing you to properly recover.

Diet is crucial yes,but that doesn't mean any workout is good enough as long as you fail.
Not at all unless you are a complete beginner.

Diet is crucial yes,but that doesn't mean any workout is good enough as long as you fail.
Not at all unless you are a complete beginner.
why not? i mean if you are a beginner, full body workouts make sense since you probably have very little muscle and as it increases you might want to start doing a split to hit each muscle of a certain group individually but as long as you do that to failure and rest, there isnt anything more to it

unless you know more than i do (i dont know much so you might) in which case ofc id like to know as im gymcelling rn

why not? i mean if you are a beginner, full body workouts make sense since you probably have very little muscle and as it increases you might want to start doing a split to hit each muscle of a certain group individually but as long as you do that to failure and rest, there isnt anything more to it

unless you know more than i do (i dont know much so you might) in which case ofc id like to know as im gymcelling rn
Because after you exhaust your newbie gains,your muscle cells actually become insulin resistant.So you have to manipulate and take advantage of little gaps in the metabolism.
So when it comes to building muscles there are three variables.

Intensity
Volume
Frequency

You don't get to increase all of them at once so you need to prioritize.Studies have demonstrated that intensity is the most important one.Intensity is essentially whether you are working hard enough or not.But there are other variables that are important as well.Now among the other two frequency is way more important,and frequency refers to the number of times the muscle is being trained each week.And after that comes volume which is the number of sets being performed on a single workout for given muscle group.
Scientific literature suggests that you need about 18-20 working sets for major muscle groups and 15-18 sets for smaller ones and that would be plenty.
So what is wrong with bro splits is that there is too much volume(way more than necessary)
And there is not enough frequency.
And when it comes to full body
There is not nearly enough frequency or volume because you are working your whole body.You'd have to be in the gym for 2.5-3 hours if you want to hit your muscles with sufficient volume.
And after such a long volumous workout you'd need a lot of time to recover which would prevent you from increasing frequency.

You forgot the part where you need Arnold’s frame and height to look like Arnold as well
i forgot the part where youre never going to look like arnold

Because after you exhaust your newbie gains,your muscle cells actually become insulin resistant.So you have to manipulate and take advantage of little gaps in the metabolism.
So when it comes to building muscles there are three variables.

Intensity
Volume
Frequency

You don't get to increase all of them at once so you need to prioritize.Studies have demonstrated that intensity is the most important one.Intensity is essentially whether you are working hard enough or not.But there are other variables that are important as well.Now among the other two frequency is way more important,and frequency refers to the number of times the muscle is being trained each week.And after that comes volume which is the number of sets being performed on a single workout for given muscle group.
Scientific literature suggests that you need about 18-20 working sets for major muscle groups and 15-18 sets for smaller ones and that would be plenty.
So what is wrong with bro splits is that there is too much volume(way more than necessary)
And there is not enough frequency.
And when it comes to full body
There is not nearly enough frequency or volume because you are working your whole body.You'd have to be in the gym for 2.5-3 hours if you want to hit your muscles with sufficient volume.
And after such a long volumous workout you'd need a lot of time to recover which would prevent you from increasing frequency.
>Because after you exhaust your newbie gains,your muscle cells actually become insulin resistant.So you have to manipulate and take advantage of little gaps in the metabolism.

wered you get this info from? i never heard this ever, not from anyone including gymbros
also what do you even mean by little gaps in your metabolism and what does metabolism have to do with IR?

the rest of your post i dont really disagree with, especially since i dont know much about it, but are you sure you would have to break it down so much for you to build muscle? i dont think our ancestors had detailed tree branch lifting plans, but i guess that isnt proof of anything

and if you were making such a detailed lifting plan in order to maximize natty growth id agree with you but theres no possible way to do that trough just tweaking your exercise plans, we still have our limits, thats why people inject 100 different substances to get gainz

i forgot the part where youre never going to look like arnold

>Because after you exhaust your newbie gains,your muscle cells actually become insulin resistant.So you have to manipulate and take advantage of little gaps in the metabolism.

wered you get this info from? i never heard this ever, not from anyone including gymbros
also what do you even mean by little gaps in your metabolism and what does metabolism have to do with IR?

the rest of your post i dont really disagree with, especially since i dont know much about it, but are you sure you would have to break it down so much for you to build muscle? i dont think our ancestors had detailed tree branch lifting plans, but i guess that isnt proof of anything

and if you were making such a detailed lifting plan in order to maximize natty growth id agree with you but theres no possible way to do that trough just tweaking your exercise plans, we still have our limits, thats why people inject 100 different substances to get gainz
I have done the reading well over a year ago so I don't think I can link you to specific studies but I'd recommend you research this on your own.But what I am going to say is,of course your muscle cells become more insulin resistant as you make more gains.Otherwise there would be no natural limit and you'd just make gains forever.
That isn't the case however.
And when it comes to our ancestors not having detailed custom workout plans yes,they didn't.But they didn't run around with 18 inch arms and perfectly symmetrical clavical and sternal head pecs anyway.I never said you can't make gains using another program.
I'm only suggesting to everyone what is ideal
or as close to ideal as it gets according to scientific literature.

What I mean by taking advantage of little gaps in your metabolism is,well there are many cases but for one
Intermittent fasting is shown to significantly increase HGH production.And that's because every time you eat,you get insulin spikes that rush nutrients into your cells.These insulin spikes interfere with HGH production.
So by fasting you can optimize HGH production.
Using small tools like this you can go beyond.

And I never said that you'd make steroid like gains or look like Arnold Schwarzenegger following this program.

All is said was this is a good way to train.
Better than most programs out there.Including full body, bro splits and push pull legs

I have done the reading well over a year ago so I don't think I can link you to specific studies but I'd recommend you research this on your own.But what I am going to say is,of course your muscle cells become more insulin resistant as you make more gains.Otherwise there would be no natural limit and you'd just make gains forever.
That isn't the case however.
And when it comes to our ancestors not having detailed custom workout plans yes,they didn't.But they didn't run around with 18 inch arms and perfectly symmetrical clavical and sternal head pecs anyway.I never said you can't make gains using another program.
I'm only suggesting to everyone what is ideal
or as close to ideal as it gets according to scientific literature.

What I mean by taking advantage of little gaps in your metabolism is,well there are many cases but for one
Intermittent fasting is shown to significantly increase HGH production.And that's because every time you eat,you get insulin spikes that rush nutrients into your cells.These insulin spikes interfere with HGH production.
So by fasting you can optimize HGH production.

And I never said that you'd make steroid like gains or look like Arnold Schwarzenegger following this program.

All is said was this is a good way to train.
Better than most programs out there.Including full body, bro splits and push pull legs
bro... glycogen has nothing to do with muscle growth tho. if anything, youd become more insulin sensitive trough burning the glycogen and filling it daily as well as increasing the storage

and also bro:

1) what exactly will the hgh do if you arent eating anything? and is the increase enough to give any noticeable effects at all?
2) hgh isnt the only thing involved in general growth or muscle growth specifically, theres many other growth factors involved. some can even help with long bone growth without hgh

bro... glycogen has nothing to do with muscle growth tho. if anything, youd become more insulin sensitive trough burning the glycogen and filling it daily as well as increasing the storage

and also bro:

1) what exactly will the hgh do if you arent eating anything? and is the increase enough to give any noticeable effects at all?
2) hgh isnt the only thing involved in general growth or muscle growth specifically, theres many other growth factors involved. some can even help with long bone growth without hgh

You are eating,but you are eating in a small time frame you'll be fasting most of the day,but you'll have 6 or 8 hours to eat.That's what intermittent fasting is.

I know that it's not the only one I only gave one example.but it is definitely significant,otherwise professional bodybuilders wouldn't be injecting it.

You are eating,but you are eating in a small time frame you'll be fasting most of the day,but you'll have 6 or 8 hours to eat.That's what intermittent fasting is.

I know that it's not the only one I only gave one example.but it is definitely significant,otherwise professional bodybuilders wouldn't be injecting it.
but bro all significant increase in hgh happens after at least 2 days of not eating. I thought you meant a long period of fasting

IF is good for losing weight and all, especially OMAD. Keto too. But for muscle building? maybe, but the info we have right now says otherwise

but bro all significant increase in hgh happens after at least 2 days of not eating. I thought you meant a long period of fasting

IF is good for losing weight and all, especially OMAD. Keto too. But for muscle building? maybe, but the info we have right now says otherwise
Well the drop in insulin levels begin to happen 3 hours after eating and after 6 hours HGH production starts to increase and it gets more and more significant as hours progress.It starts to get significant at around 12 hour mark and becomes maximally effective at 18-20 hours.One study demonstrated a 2000% increase in HGH levels by just 24 hours of fasting.So I don't know where you got the idea you'd have to be fasting at least two days from

Introduction
This is a relatively low volume, highly intense and frequency focused workout program developed and used by Arnold Schwarzenegger himself.
The point of this routine is continuously pumping blood throughout your torso and limbs and not allowing the blood the escape(hence no rest) to create a lot of metabolic stress,in addition to the mechanical tension you are putting on your muscles to maximize muscle protein synthesis.
You are going to be working out 6 days a week, hitting each major muscle group twice a week,while your arms get hit 4 times a week.

Day 1-Back and Chest
The reason he programs muscle groups that work in opposite is to make it easier for you to apply the "no rest" policy.The idea is,while you are working your pushing muscles(front delt,chest and triceps) your pulling muscles(back and biceps) are stretched and resting.So you need no additional rest between sets

Day 2-Arms&Shoulders
Since your delts assist in most arm exercises,there will be additional work for them even after you're done training them.So that's more volume.

Day 3-Legs

Day 4-Off

Days 5,6&7 repeat.

Exercises:
The exercises in this routine are especially picked to allow the stretch and resting of the opposite muscle groups that you are working on.They mainly consist of multi-joint compound movements which are clearly superior to isolation type exercises in increasing testosterone and HGH production.

The exercises I wrote down in number listing are to be performed as drop sets.That means no rest in between sets.
Chest&Back Day
  2. Pull Ups 5x10​

2. T Bar Row 5x10-13​
Like this for instance;
  • 3x15 Reverse Curls.​

Arms&Shoulders

1. Preacher Curls 5x10​

1. Wrist Curls 3x13​

Squats 5x10
Rest
Lunges 5x10
Rest
Rest
Rest
5x60 sec

Final thoughts
  • I can assure you that you are going to have to decrease the weight in between sets,and I encourage you to go ahead and do that because we are focused on hypertrophy and not strength here,so you can sacrifice some weight if you can't go through the program otherwise.​

• Make sure you are muscling the weight up and not using momentum,again this is not strength work,pick a weight that you can control from the beginning to the end.Feel the contraction and blood rush every single repetition.​

• Take your time with the sets.Your working sets should last at least 45 seconds for hypertrophy purposes.Don't rush a weight you can't control.​
Slaywr

progressive overload >>>>>>> hypertrophy unless you're juicing.
just because arnold followed this program doesn't mean it's good, since steroids make you bigger just by taking them. you can train the worst way possible while juicing and you'll still make great gains.

So you need no additional rest between sets
  2. Pull Ups 5x10​
I don't understand this well, this mean i should do

10-13 Barbell Bench Press
10 Pull Ups
10 Pull Ups
10 Pull Ups
10 Pull Ups
10 Pull Ups

Without rest in between? @Deleted Member 295

I don't understand this well, this mean i should do

10 Pull Ups
10 Pull Ups
10 Pull Ups
10 Pull Ups
10 Pull Ups

Without rest in between? @Deleted Member 295
Yes exactly.
And since you ended with pull ups,you will not rest between exercises either because the next one's a chest exercise.

Ok thanks

Another thing

Does this mean that Day5 Back and Chest, Day 6 Arms and Shoulders, Day 7 Legs and then again Day 1 Back and Chest?? Or would day 1 be Rest day like Day 4??
You have 1 day off every week.The remaining days you're working out
Preferably in the middle.

Because you have the advantage of newbie gains in your pocket.
Thanks to that you are going to build size even if you do just strength work and not hypertrophy.
So if you do strength training for a year you will add some size and a lot of strength.
With this program you'll just optimize your size gains but not really going to get much stronger

if ur a beginner, you should follow a full body program that focuses on progressive overload (aka increase the weight everytime you go to the gym) because you should capitalize on the fact that your body can adapt very quickly to weight increases (this is why ppl make such great gains in the first periods of lifting, more weight equals more strength which equals more muscle), since you're most likely gonna use low weights. it's a good program though if you're advanced at the gym

Thanks to that you are going to build size even if you do just strength work and not hypertrophy.
So if you do strength training for a year you will add some size and a lot of strength.
With this program you'll just optimize your size gains but not really going to get much stronger
if ur a beginner, you should follow a full body program that focuses on progressive overload (aka increase the weight everytime you go to the gym) because you should capitalize on the fact that your body can adapt very quickly to weight increases (this is why ppl make such great gains in the first periods of lifting, more weight equals more strength which equals more muscle), since you're most likely gonna use low weights. it's a good program though if you're advanced at the gym
f**k

Could you guys link me a good program then?

exactly dude, that's why arnold used this program. he lifted such heavy weight since he was such an advanced lifter, that he couldn't increase the weight everytime he trained. so, he needed to make progress in a way that his body could adapt faster to the progression. at the downside of course of making smaller and slower gains.

f**k

Could you guys link me a good program then?
5x5 and ppl programs are very good, used by lots of ppl and guaranteed to make you fast gains if you really work hard. look them up, they're pretty straight forward

This is the program I used when I first entered the gym.
Lost 15 kg and went from a 30 kg bench to 100 kg in 7 months
I started as a guy who couldn't do a single push up.
Now I can do 35 without even feeling anything

Introduction

Day 1-Back and Chest

Day 2-Arms&Shoulders

Day 3-Legs

Day 4-Off

Days 5,6&7 repeat.

Exercises:

Chest&Back Day
  2. Pull Ups 5x10​

2. T Bar Row 5x10-13​
Like this for instance;
  • 3x15 Reverse Curls.​

Arms&Shoulders

1. Preacher Curls 5x10​

1. Wrist Curls 3x13​

Squats 5x10
Rest
Lunges 5x10
Rest
Rest
Rest
5x60 sec

Final thoughts

am abt to try it for a couple of months will tell the results